Thompson-Nicola Touring

Food is my true calling (@Artwearecafe)

Up in Sun Peaks Winter 2019

WHAT KIND OF TRAVELER AM I?

I’m from Benin, Cotonou, a small country in West Africa. Most of my childhood was spent in Cotonou (City in Benin) before moving to different African countries to continue schooling: Togo, Tanzania, Cameroon. My whole family is Beninese, so that’s all I had known before moving to different countries and attending international schools that allowed me to learn more about various cultures around the world. In 2018, I then moved to Canada for the first time to attend university.

I never had the chance to explore or travel much during my time spent in Africa. My parents made sure my main focus were my studies. So when my friends would go out, I’d simply be home studying. But growing up in cities, I always craved that lifestyle. Eating at different restaurants, doing various activities, going shopping, attending events etc. But when I came to Canada a lot of things changes and I found interest in various types of activities. I’ve gone hiking, fishing, canoeing and visited landmarks I had never seen before. I’ve had the privilege of experiencing many outdoor activities that I didn’t think I’d enjoy. I’m grateful for those experiences and always looking out for more. However, that hasn’t changed the type of traveler I am by spirit. I enjoy the city, but Kamloops is quiet, which is great for studying but not for the type of traveler I am. Vancouver is more of my kind of city, where I can enjoy the night life and there are multiple activities to take part of.

Thompson- Nicola B (Thompson Headwaters)

In addition to that what categorizes the type of traveler I am is also my demographics. I am a black African millennium, full time student who works a part time job. My budget is limited in terms of how much I can spend on travel and tourists activities which also plays a role to determining the type of traveler I am. From the Canadian Explorer Quotient, I would identify as a “Free spirit”. These individuals are usually highly social, adventurous and experimental which I can personally relate to. I love writing music and poetry, cooking, braiding hair, going on road trips, eating at restaurants, attending events, and spending time with friends and family. As a free spirit I enjoy traveling and I’m open to new experiences. I will seek: luxury, shared experiences, hedonistic rejuvenation. I love to be care free when I’m on vacation because I believe it’s a time for me to destress and relax. During this time period I will usually find ways to pamper myself, enjoy good food, go to the spa or enjoy night life.

My top most appealing activities as a Free spirit include: Shopping, Dining, food related activities, entertainment, performing arts & amusement

Casual photo-shooting in Blue River, Mike Wiegele Resort

Downtown Vancouver, Christmas Time

Vancouver, Early May